Sunday, August 28, 2011

Three Great Things About This Morning's Ride, with a Few Pictures

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Clouds like brushstrokes across the morning sky
Pagodas of goldenrod rising from the verge
Leathery oak leaves shining in the sun



And, if I were to add a fourth, it would be:

Thoughts of a friend on a mountain far away

(While I was riding this morning, and as I write these words now, Snowcatcher is climbing Pikes' Peak in Colorado, a 14,000+ foot mountain ride she's been training for all year. I admire her courage and determination more than I can say, and I wish her the best ride of her life. Good luck, Deb!)

My time is limited, and I will add pictures tonight if I can. Must fly!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Back again. First, something I learned this morning: For the most picturesque ride, leave your camera at home. Second only to this is bringing your camera along, but not having time to stop for pictures.

This was my case today. We were due at my sister's to see some out-of-town relatives here on a flying visit: a very dear niece, two small adorable great-nieces, and my new great-nephew who is very small indeed. My riding time was limited, and I told myself sternly I would only take pictures on the fly.

Needless to say I saw many wonderful things that tempted me to stop and shoot - more things than I had time to capture. (I never realized until today how addicted I'd become to taking pictures on my Sunday rides.)

It was a beautiful morning, with a strong cool wind out of the north. I had to stop and snap this grapevine-covered windmill:


No more stops! I told myself. If you can't shoot it while riding, don't shoot it at all. So on I rode, past marshes garlanded with cattails and purple loosestrife, a large wild turkey crossing an open field, clumps of Queen Anne's Lace, weeping willows over a stream, hosts of goldenrod in bloom, and many other lovely sights.

My favourite bend in the road:


It's interesting to note how much the trees have filled out since pictures of the same spot taken in early spring.

Wide blue skies and delicate brush-stroked clouds over a field of green clover:


And a few miles further on ... wild chicory! I love wild chicory for its elusive, delicate lavender-blue flowers. In the afternoons, when I usually ride, the chicory has already closed up for the day. I'll admit I stopped to take this picture.


I passed a large group of wild turkeys in a field, but couldn't get any good shots of them. Par for the course today!

One last attempt to capture the feathery clouds in the sky before I head home.


A good ride, though short and somewhat frustrating photographically.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4 comments:

  1. I would think taking pictures while riding would be hard!! And for me, it would be dangerous!! lol!! I love seeing your big, blue skies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chuckling at the thought of you taking photographs whilst riding your bicycle ;-) Having said that I thank you for taking me on the scenic bike ride too. I love the way you write; so poetic, down-to-earth and humerous all rolled into one.

    Stephanie

    ps Come and see my first GIVEAWAY; I think it might tickle your fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals. It's only a tiny little digital camera so it's not as dangerous as it sounds. The hardest part is getting shots that are properly focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, this post brought tears to my eyes...

    May I say you had better scenery than me?!? :D

    I took one photo. I looked at the road the rest of the time. Tried not to look at the clock. Never looked at the mileage until I hit the timer and got turned back. But not swept!!!

    Very awesome you still have a few wildflowers. We do have wild sunflowers, but everything else is fading, and very soon the leaves will be turning. Gosh, we could get snow this weekend. Not in the forecast, but it has happened before!

    The Lizard has become quite adept at taking pictures without stopping. And I've just recently learned how to take a sip from a water bottle and put it back in the cage without crashing...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....