Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Painting the Kitchen

For a long time now, I've been wanting to paint the kitchen. When we moved in more than 10 years ago, it was neatly papered and quite livable - but over time the paper began to curl up at the seams.

(I've mentioned before that our apartment occupies the bottom floor of a house built in 1903. As renters, with a dilatory and somewhat uninterested landlord, it's difficult for us to strike the right balance when it comes to things like painting. We want very much for things to look as nice as they can, but are reluctant to put too much effort into a place that is not our own. There is also, I'm ashamed to say, the sneaking feeling that if the landlord doesn't care, why should we? On the other hand, we have to live here - and he doesn't.)

So there we were with ever-more-curling wallpaper. I tried to ignore it. I reminded myself of the unimaginable horrors that can lurk under wallpaper in an old house - spots, stains, water damage, holes. Who knew what the previous tenants had hidden with that paper?

But I finally realised it had to go.


Our landlord was perfectly happy to pay for painting materials if we would provide the labour, so after much agonizing over colours (trying to think what would look best with grey wall tiles, an avodado-green stove, and a brick-patterned linoleum floor), we stocked up on all the necessaries: wall cleaner, paint, roller, tray, brush, painter's tape, tarps. And last week the ordeal began.


The first part, removing the wallpaper, was rather fun. Years of steam from cooking had loosened it to the point that it peeled away pretty cleanly. Any residue came off very quickly when spritzed with water. And the imagined horrors proved largely nonexistent - apart from one very spotty, damp patch where a leak had occurred years before, the walls were in fairly decent shape.

Aaack!

The spotty damp patch was scrubbed and scraped and allowed to dry. Then I spent a day washing the walls and ceiling. As this involved use of a product called TSP (trisodium phosphate), a highly effective but caustic cleaner, I had to wear heavy rubber gloves, large goggles, and something that looked like a WWII era gas mask. (The mask was very good at blocking all sorts of vapours, oxygen apparently included. I kept having to lift it up to breathe.)

I thought my legs were in good shape from cycling, but that day of climbing up and down, up and down, up and down a stepladder, bucket and brush in hand, made them pretty sore. And cleaning a ceiling is surprisingly awkward. They say conductors have strong hearts from working with their arms raised above chest level - if so my heart must definitely be stronger than it was a week ago.

After cleaning, the walls were allowed to dry for a day or two before spackling all the various holes and scraped areas. (Isn't "spackle" a fun word? Kind of a cross between "sparkle" and "cackle".) Then came the priming of the spackled areas.

Finally, after days of prep work, it was time to paint. (Or almost - I still had to tape all the woodwork edges, cover the refrigerator, and tarp the floor. That took the better part of a morning.) At last I cracked open the can of paint and had at it. And after more hours than I can count spent climbing up and down the stepladder, this time with paintbrush or roller in hand, the work was complete.

The kitchen walls and ceiling are now a soft, warm grey that seems to subtly change colour as the sunlight moves across the room - looking sometimes very faintly green, sometimes taupe, sometimes light rosy brown. It's relaxing and inviting and amazingly easy on the eyes. The room has taken on a certain elegance it never had before; even the avocado-green stove (relic of the 70s) looks better.


The beautiful old doorframes stand tall and dignified in their fresh new surroundings.

Looking from the kitchen into the dining and living room

And I've gotten a serious workout - all my joints (except my ankles) are sore. (How do painters avoid repetitive strain injury?) I can honestly say now that I would rather ride my bike 70 miles - several days in a row - than prep and paint a room in an old house. I haven't been on the bike for over a week, thanks to this paint job, but plenty of calories have been burned notwithstanding. And I'm so glad it's done! :)

~ ~ ~

Do you like to paint rooms? If so, which is more fun - the planning or the painting? The anticipation or the reality?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

38 comments:

  1. I ache with you while applauding your gallant efforts - job well-done! Your home looks delightful. I prefer to paint since I agonize over color, not able to tell what goes with what or what one color vs another will do to a space. Continuous climbing up and reaching up wakes up muscles you didn't know you had!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - I agonize over colour too. It's always so different on the wall from how it appears on a chip in the store. Our apartment has many beauties, and also many frustrations. But we try to concentrate on the beauties. :)

      Delete
  2. Great job. I hate house painting! Spackle is a great word, in the UK we call it filler - much duller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! And I agree with you about the word spackle - though it's very rare for me to prefer an American term over a British one. :)

      Delete
  3. Great job. I hate house painting! Spackle is a great word, in the UK we call it filler - much duller.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. I hate house painting! Spackle is a great word, in the UK we call it filler - much duller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite happy to do the planning but the execution is definitely a hassle - our house is mid 1700s so nothing is ever easy and I definitely have the same dread of what may be lurking underneath! Juliex P.S. It looks lovely, worth all that effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid 1700s - wow! I can't begin to imagine what might be in your walls ... whether of horror or delight.

      Thanks Julie. :)

      Delete
  6. Can you believe I have never actually painted a room? I've done some touch-up, but never a complete re-do.

    We are considering having our whole inside painted by someone, but we haven't decided on colors. :-/ I think that is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - because you have to live with it and it's so difficult to be sure you're choosing the right thing. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  7. Gosh, it's been ages since I've painted a wall. I used to do the whole shebang... tape and bed, texture, paint... I bet I'd be just as sore now as you if I tried it because it's been so long. Eventually, we will have to paint our walls in our house, but it will be fun to choose colors and make it our own. Change the look and feel, just as you have done. And my goodness, yours looks lovely. I love how you describe the beautiful colors as the sunlight changes!

    Now, I'm thinking that gas mask might need a second life next time we have a forest fire here... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy to loan it to you at any time - though I warn you it's very difficult to breathe in it!

      I am trying to imagine your house with different wall colours ... though I must say it looks very pretty as it is. :)

      Delete
  8. I've been thinking of painting the bathroom for months, years. But I can't decide on a colour that matches the floral green tiles from the seventies. It would be good to have some wood in the bathroom to absorb the humidity from the shower, so a wood ceiling would be better than new paint. This means even more work ... So I am procrastinating on and on ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wood ceiling sounds beautiful - our bathroom is also very humid because there is no ventilation. (Old houses!) And it's hard to match tiles, isn't it? The ones in our kitchen made it very difficult.

      :)

      Delete
  9. A lot of work and "pain," but it is worth it. Aren't you glad you did it? Looks lovely and clean. That is always the best part of painting. Linda @ Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - and now that it's done I'm very glad indeed. The room is so much more relaxing now - I didn't realise how much stress that peeling wallpaper was causing (though that sounds very silly).

      Delete
  10. I admire your efforts. I haven't done any painting since I moved into this apartment in 1993. I know that it is now in serious need of repainting but I can't do it so will have to pay someone to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T-a! There are advantages both ways, I think ... as long as I am able I will do things of this sort myself so as to avoid having strangers tromping around. But when I can no longer clamber up and down a stepladder all day I will have to gracefully yield and let someone else do the work, while I sit back and sip tea. :)

      Delete
  11. Looks really good, I like the color. I'm one of the weird ones, I like to paint, Mac hates it, but helps me out, I hate the prep work, it's just the actual painting I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that'w weird at all - painting IS fun. It's all that fussy prepping that makes it seem such a chore.

      Thanks Janet! And I know that there's SOME painting Mac enjoys.... :)

      Delete
  12. First may I say what a great job you did? It looks just lovely. And a huge improvement over the peeling wallpaper.
    I have done the whole thing before, paper off, paper on, paint,everything. I lovethe planning and picking of colors, but with my bad neck I really do not think I could paint anymore. Maybe one wall a day. It would take me weeks to do one room. The part I dislike the most...taping.
    Enjoy your lovely new room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neck was so sore after this - from all the craning and tipping my head back while painting the ceiling.

      Thanks Beth! And I think you should definitely spare your neck - you need it for quilting. :)

      Delete
  13. isn't it wonderful when you give a room a facelift? i love the planning stages but the work is a real killer! but i get a great feeling of accomplishment when it's all done and i can sit back and enjoy my handiwork.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that - I always enjoy the planning stage a lot, the prep and execution least, and being finished most. :)

      Delete
  14. I LOVE your paint choice. The end result is so lovely!!!!!!!

    I know from our OLD home that wallpaper hides those watermark sins. IT was hard work to repaint. I LOVE fresh paint but am not a fan of painting. Allison LOVEs to paint and has helped many friends with the chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kathy - and I was very glad not to find old wallpaper under this layer. I've seen houses where they just papered over and over again without ever stripping the walls. This really wasn't too bad. :)

      I think it's always more fun to help someone else paint - because they do all the prep and cleanup.

      Delete
  15. Nice! Love the gray. If someone will prep for me I will paint all day and night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Sue!
    Painting is hard work. You might guess that my husband is good at it and you would be right, he should win awards for it. Me? I paint about like I do everything else, just good enough to get by!
    Love the gray, I like the idea of how the light shifts the colors, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay - I am on a par with you as to painting skills. Mr. M is an amazing painter - he never has to tape edges, and can cut a perfect line with a brush. But unfortunately he can't work on a ladder due to his extreme vertigo, so I volunteered to take charge of this paint job. If he had been able to do it, it would have been done in half the time. :)

      Delete
  17. Oh, I love it...and what pretty woodwork you've got in your place! I'm so drawn to everything about older homes. I think your color choice was a really good one. Our home has been through so many changes over the years we've been here. I've done most of the painting ... but I'm starting not to love doing it as much! I can feel your pain!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - the house does have very pretty woodwork with the original crackly varnish, which I love (though earlier tenants splashed white paint all over the baseboards in the other rooms - grrr). And painting is definitely a good workout! :)

      Delete
  18. The new paint looks great! Oh, what a chore the whole process is. I have painted the walls in my house maybe three times. This last, I hired it out. It took three men two days. Only two days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth every penny, I'd say! As long as they cleaned up after themselves. :)

      Delete
  19. The walls look gray! A neutral gray is a nice choice.

    I never painted before I moved into my condo, and then I did a 3 day paint-a-thon of the entire place. The thing I found most surprising was the CRAZY hand pain, which I though was from holding onto a brush or roller--untIl I went to tear a piece of blue tape to get a spot I missed. Youch! I was apparently not conditioned for repetitive tape-tearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what things get stretched and strained with a job of this sort. My wrists were horribly sore, and even some of my fingers....

      :)

      Delete
  20. You have done a magnificent job and it looks so beautiful and full of character. The woodwork is making me green with envy.
    I have not painted nor papered in years. This house is in serious need of some TLC, but I am not sure if my body and balance is up to the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E - we do love the woodwork in this house (although it has not been very well cared for in many spots).

      I thought I had good balance, but a few days on the stepladder made me question it! :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....